Apache Pivot and Swing Development

java programmer-2
Dear All,

As i am looking into PIVOT, i am feeling that, one should be aware of how Swing works.
I am totally blank in SWING development. Can i still pick up on PIVOT?

What will be the best way or steps to learn it. I know that's a dumb question, but thats how
it is. :)

Best Regards,
Prithvi

Re: Apache Pivot and Swing Development

Greg Brown
Administrator
Hi Prithvi,

While Pivot and Swing share a number of common concepts, knowledge of Swing is definitely not a prerequisite for learning Pivot.

The best way to learn about Pivot is to read the tutorial. I would suggest starting with the Pivot 1.5 version, which you can build by running the Ant "deploy" target. This will build the platform JARs as well as two WAR files: pivot-demos.war and pivot-tutorials.war. You can then deploy these to a local web server. The tutorials explain how to use most Pivot features. You may also find the source code for the demos useful.

Hope this helps,
Greg

On May 19, 2010, at 4:03 AM, java programmer wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> As i am looking into PIVOT, i am feeling that, one should be aware of how Swing works.
> I am totally blank in SWING development. Can i still pick up on PIVOT?
>
> What will be the best way or steps to learn it. I know that's a dumb question, but thats how
> it is. :)
>
> Best Regards,
> Prithvi

Re: Apache Pivot and Swing Development

java programmer-2
Dear Greg,

The tutorials are describing each and every feature.

Do you recommend to go them one by one. Completely through every component to see how is it working?
It would be more like a cover to cover read. Do you recommend this way?

Best Regards,
Prithvi

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Greg Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Prithvi,

While Pivot and Swing share a number of common concepts, knowledge of Swing is definitely not a prerequisite for learning Pivot.

The best way to learn about Pivot is to read the tutorial. I would suggest starting with the Pivot 1.5 version, which you can build by running the Ant "deploy" target. This will build the platform JARs as well as two WAR files: pivot-demos.war and pivot-tutorials.war. You can then deploy these to a local web server. The tutorials explain how to use most Pivot features. You may also find the source code for the demos useful.

Hope this helps,
Greg

On May 19, 2010, at 4:03 AM, java programmer wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> As i am looking into PIVOT, i am feeling that, one should be aware of how Swing works.
> I am totally blank in SWING development. Can i still pick up on PIVOT?
>
> What will be the best way or steps to learn it. I know that's a dumb question, but thats how
> it is. :)
>
> Best Regards,
> Prithvi

Re: Apache Pivot and Swing Development

Todd Volkert
I, for one, would recommend that, yes, as well as optionally following along with the tutorials with live code on your side.

-R

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 8:39 AM, java programmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Greg,

The tutorials are describing each and every feature.

Do you recommend to go them one by one. Completely through every component to see how is it working?
It would be more like a cover to cover read. Do you recommend this way?

Best Regards,
Prithvi

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Greg Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Prithvi,

While Pivot and Swing share a number of common concepts, knowledge of Swing is definitely not a prerequisite for learning Pivot.

The best way to learn about Pivot is to read the tutorial. I would suggest starting with the Pivot 1.5 version, which you can build by running the Ant "deploy" target. This will build the platform JARs as well as two WAR files: pivot-demos.war and pivot-tutorials.war. You can then deploy these to a local web server. The tutorials explain how to use most Pivot features. You may also find the source code for the demos useful.

Hope this helps,
Greg

On May 19, 2010, at 4:03 AM, java programmer wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> As i am looking into PIVOT, i am feeling that, one should be aware of how Swing works.
> I am totally blank in SWING development. Can i still pick up on PIVOT?
>
> What will be the best way or steps to learn it. I know that's a dumb question, but thats how
> it is. :)
>
> Best Regards,
> Prithvi

Re: Apache Pivot and Swing Development

Greg Brown
Administrator
Agreed. The tutorial is meant to be read from start to finish (though it will help to read the WTKX Primer first). It shouldn't take too long to get through - it doesn't cover every feature in minute detail. Rather, it is intended to provide a high-level introduction to the main features provided by the platform.
Greg