Beginning basic pivot application

Bikramjeet Singh
HI,
 I need to use Apache pivot for my GSoc project this year and I was beginning to learn how to use it from tutorials. So while following the basic steps of setting up the project and trying the code given in hello world! Tutorial I'm receiving the error "Application class name is required".

What should I do?

Thanks

Re: Beginning basic pivot application

Roger and Beth Whitcomb
Hi and welcome to Pivot!  I'm excited to have you doing your GSoC project with us !

So, as far as your specific error -- I assume you tried to run your program from the command line?!  Did you create a .jar file?  We're you using ScriptApplication?  What was the exact command line that you used?? The more details you give us, the easier it will be to help.

Thanks,
~Roger Whitcomb

Thanks

Re: Beginning basic pivot application

Bikramjeet Singh
HI,
no actually I used eclipse to run the file and imported all the necessary jar files too.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 28-Apr-2016, at 7:26 PM, Roger and Beth Whitcomb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi and welcome to Pivot!  I'm excited to have you doing your GSoC project with us !
>
> So, as far as your specific error -- I assume you tried to run your program from the command line?!  Did you create a .jar file?  We're you using ScriptApplication?  What was the exact command line that you used?? The more details you give us, the easier it will be to help.
>
> Thanks,
> ~Roger Whitcomb
>
> On April 28, 2016, at 4:36 AM, Bikramjeet Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> HI,
> I need to use Apache pivot for my GSoc project this year and I was beginning to learn how to use it from tutorials. So while following the basic steps of setting up the project and trying the code given in hello world! Tutorial I'm receiving the error "Application class name is required".
>
> What should I do?
>
> Thanks

Re: Beginning basic pivot application

Roger Whitcomb-2
So, I haven't used Eclipse in a long time, but there should be a text field in the project settings (something like that) where you put in the main application class name....  Does that ring any bells?

You could also do something really low-tech and just compile your main class using "javac" from the command line, put the Pivot .jar files in the CLASSPATH in the environment, and then run the program with "java main.class.name" (which is how I usually do things).

But, assuming you did put the main class name into the right place in Eclipse, maybe you didn't make you main class "public"?  That could cause a problem also.

no actually I used eclipse to run the file and imported all the necessary jar files too.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 28-Apr-2016, at 7:26 PM, Roger and Beth Whitcomb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi and welcome to Pivot!  I'm excited to have you doing your GSoC project with us !
>
> So, as far as your specific error -- I assume you tried to run your program from the command line?!  Did you create a .jar file?  We're you using ScriptApplication?  What was the exact command line that you used?? The more details you give us, the easier it will be to help.
>
> Thanks,
> ~Roger Whitcomb
>
> On April 28, 2016, at 4:36 AM, Bikramjeet Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> HI,
> I need to use Apache pivot for my GSoc project this year and I was beginning to learn how to use it from tutorials. So while following the basic steps of setting up the project and trying the code given in hello world! Tutorial I'm receiving the error "Application class name is required".
>
> What should I do?
>
> Thanks

Re: Beginning basic pivot application

Tom Coleman
Did you install the Pivot plugin in Eclipse?

If you do, there will be two additional options when you run the program from Eclipse:

1) Run as Pivot Application - where you select the source file with the main class,  or

2) Run as Pivot script - where you select the .bxml file.

You can run a Pivot Application from Eclipse as a Java Application (without using the plugin) but it would have to be written in a way that is different than many of the Pivot demos.

Hope this helps.

"The more the merrier."