Quantcast

Expanders Cause Increased CPU and Memory Use

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Expanders Cause Increased CPU and Memory Use

GregBrannon

I chose to use Expanders for a simple user interface - my first flying almost solo - and I've been seeing weird behavior.

 

My system:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K

8 GB

Linux kernel: 3.4.6-1

Pivot 2.0.2

KDE 4.9.00

Java 7u7 64-bit (compiling to 1.6)

Eclipse 4.2

Firefox 15.0.1-1

Chromium ver. 21.0.1180.89 (154005)

 

I have run the attached within both Eclipse and at the console with essentially the same results. I mention the browsers, because I see the same behavior when I simply open the Pivot Expanders Tutorial page at:

 

http://pivot.apache.org/tutorials/expanders.html

 

Besides the tutorial page, I've attached two files that reproduce the behavior in my environment. Essentially the behavior is:

 

Browsers (tutorial page) and console running ap: Increase in CPU load from <5% average on all 4 to 45%+; increase in memory usage from ~2.1 G to ~3.5 G in ~10 minutes and continuing to climb.

 

Eclipse running the ap: A memory leak that eventually results in a JVM shutdown due to GC memory being exceeded but more quickly than seen at console or in browser. I believe the error occurs after 15 - 20 minutes. CPU usage is also higher in Eclipse with at least 2 CPUs cycling to 100% at all times. Keyboard function degrades to no <Delete> key and no cut and paste functionality (could be the clipboard rather than the keyboard).

 

Navigating away from the Expanders tutorial page or closing the application restores the system's performance to as it was before. Memory usage drops from (3.6 G to 2.1 G) in less than a minute, usually ~30 sec.

 

I'm not very experienced at using profilers. The above info was gathered from KDE's System Monitor. If there are more data points I should gather, please let me know what they are and I will learn how to gather them, if I have to.

 

I double checked the other Navigation Containers, and I did the whole tutorial, and this was the only instance of weird behavior I've noted.

 

Thanks for your support and continuous work to make Pivot a class product.

 

Greg


SimpleExpandersBXML.java (1K) Download Attachment
simpleExpanders.bxml (830 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Expanders Cause Increased CPU and Memory Use

Sandro Martini
Hi Greg,
this is due to the issue PIVOT-860 (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIVOT-860 ), already fixed in
2.0.3.
Note that 2.0.3 has not been released, so at the moment you should get
Pivot sources via SVN from our maintenance branch 2.0.x for 2.0.3, or
from the trunk for 2.1 (both have the same fixes).

After, tell us if there is still some problem with it.


If you want, put your sources in attach in that JIRA issue, just for reference.


Bye,
Sandro
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Expanders Cause Increased CPU and Memory Use

GregBrannon
Thanks, Sandro.  Sorry I didn't find that myself.  I will do as you suggest.

On 9/10/12, Sandro Martini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Greg,
> this is due to the issue PIVOT-860 (
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIVOT-860 ), already fixed in
> 2.0.3.
> Note that 2.0.3 has not been released, so at the moment you should get
> Pivot sources via SVN from our maintenance branch 2.0.x for 2.0.3, or
> from the trunk for 2.1 (both have the same fixes).
>
> After, tell us if there is still some problem with it.
>
>
> If you want, put your sources in attach in that JIRA issue, just for
> reference.
>
>
> Bye,
> Sandro
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Expanders Cause Increased CPU and Memory Use

Sandro Martini
Ok, don't worry :-) ....

Let us know if still there are problems with it.

I'm sorry but our CI Builds doesn't archive generated jars, so anyone
at the moment has to create them by compiling sources.
In future I'l try to look at this.

Bye,
Sandro
Loading...