General performance question

Mathias Versichele
Just a general question about how pivot compares to other gui environments in terms of performance. For example, my current GUI exists of one frame ('child window') containing a menubar, 3 nested splitpanes, and some smaller components like an activity-indicator and -meter, but I already have the feeling that everything gets really slow. The resizing of the window is erratic, moving the window lags by almost half a second. I really like pivot for its ease of use and portability, but I'd like a really powerful and responsive gui... Is this normal behaviour ?

Here are my specs:

CPU:Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.86GHz
GPU:ATI Technologies Inc M22 [Mobility Radeon X300]
1gb of ram
running Kubuntu 9.10

Regards
--
Mathias Versichele
Bio-ir milieutechnologie / Msc. geografie
9240 Zele
0485/16.07.08

Re: General performance question

Ilya Dyoshin
Hello Mathias,

Well you see here a common problem of JAVA Applets in linux - they are terribly slow!

Regards,

Ilya Dyoshin

2010/2/24 Mathias Versichele <[hidden email]>
[...]

0485/16.07.08

Re: General performance question

Todd Volkert
Hi Mathias,

I run Fedora 12 at work, and it's lighting fast on that machine (faster than I've seen on any other machine, including XP and OS X).  Yet at home running Fedora 13 in a virtual machine, it's much slower.  So in my case the performance seems more tied to the graphics driver (native Nvidia vs virtualized) than the OS or anything else.

That being said, it sounds like your experience is much slower than normal.  Since you're running Ubuntu, are you running Sun's plugin, or are you running the IcedTea plugin?  If Sun's, what JVM is it?  And finally, what graphics driver are you using -- the generic Ubuntu one or a vendor-specific proprietary one?

Thanks,
-T