How to get JOGL running with Apache Pivot

How to get JOGL running with Apache Pivot

Erik Innocent
I posted a question to Stack Exchange here:

Basically asking how I can get Apache Pivot and JOGL working together. The Pivot FAQ hints that it is possible, and I found an old post in the mailing archives but the code has since changed and I'd like to get feedback before progressing.

Thanks!

Re: How to get JOGL running with Apache Pivot

Sandro Martini
Hi Erik,
sorry for the delay ...

Yes, it was an old thread, but none of us did firther work/experiments on this.
If you have some time, could be an interesting this to look ... but
I'm sorry, I won't have so much time (nor enough knowledge on JOGL) to
help on this if not for small things.
For example you could do a fork of Pivot sources (maybe at GitHUB,
where Pivot sources have a GIT mirror) and then give us some reference
so we can look at your changes.

Why do you need JOGL support, are you wrint apps that use 3D features,
or only you need OpenGL-accelerated graphics ?

Tell us :-) ... thanks.

Bye

Re: How to get JOGL running with Apache Pivot

Erik Innocent
What is the best path for doing development on Pivot itself? I downloaded the sources and imported the project into Eclipse and followed the BUILD file steps for setup, so I'm guessing that's it. Where is the GitHub repo? I would have preferred to fork so I can send you pull requests if I come up with anything useful, and so I get version control out-of-the-box.

I want to try the 3D acceleration to see if it helps with my performance issues. Right now things are fast enough on my Windows 8.1 machine with Celeron CPU, but only just, and I'd like to see if getting at the hardware acceleration makes things unquestionably snappy. It would also be cool to see, once XWayland becomes more developed on the Raspberry Pi, if pushing the graphics load to hardware improves anything on there.

Thanks for taking the time to reply =)

Cheers,
--E

Bye

Re: How to get JOGL running with Apache Pivot

Sandro Martini
Hi Erik,

> What is the best path for doing development on Pivot itself? I downloaded
> the sources and imported the project into Eclipse and followed the BUILD
> file steps for setup, so I'm guessing that's it.
right, but during development you can let eclipse do the build
(eclipse project files are committed), and use ant only sometimes to
do a fresh build (like doing a release) ...

A read-only mirror is here:  https://github.com/apache/pivot

> I would have preferred to fork so I can send you pull requests if I come up
> with anything useful, and so I get version control out-of-the-box.
yes, you are right :-)

> I want to try the 3D acceleration to see if it helps with my performance
> issues. Right now things are fast enough on my Windows 8.1 machine with
> Celeron CPU, but only just, and I'd like to see if getting at the hardware
> acceleration makes things unquestionably snappy. It would also be cool to
> see, once XWayland becomes more developed on the Raspberry Pi, if pushing
> the graphics load to hardware improves anything on there.
but on Windows Java should already use hardware acceleration (and
JavaFX even using more acceleration, ok) ... so I can suggest to start
with a minimal sample (even without touching too much Pivot classes)
to ensure it and save time, maybe starting from a Swing minimal app.
Then start migrate to Pivot and change only needed classes.

> Thanks for taking the time to reply =)
don't worry, thanks for your interest in Pivot, and to help us make it
better :-) ...

Tell us for news, if you need info, etc ...

Bye

Re: How to get JOGL running with Apache Pivot

Sandro Martini
Hi, a last tip:
for development, note that the 2.0.x branch is in maintenance mode so
it changes only a little (and requires Java 6 or higher), while trunk
requires minimum Java 7 and there could be many changes during next
weeks ...

Probably a simpler thing could be in your case to have your workspace
work on a branch derived from 2.0.x ...

Let's update.

Bye

Bye

Re: How to get JOGL running with Apache Pivot

Sandro Martini
Hi Erik,
we should have some minimal test application, but I have to search ...
and maybe create something more specific, but sorry I need some day
before looking into.

Let's update.

Bye