Is UI like this possible in Flex?

java programmer-2
Dear All,

I have captured the screen shots of a Flex application which is currently running in my company.
I would like to know is a UI like this possible in Pivot?

If it is possible what should be the starting point for me? I am not very good at UI level though but
ready to learn. I compiled the pivot 1.5 code and generated the binaries out of it but was later stopped
by the company as they thought we can't achieve something like this in Pivot, but after having a response
from Greg this is possible, i would like to know what should be the starting steps?

I am going to start with the tutorials today and plan to complete it by this weekend but would definitly
love to complete this UI in 1-2 weeks time. An oppurtunity for me to prove myself :)

Looking forward to have a feedback.

Thanks,
Prithvi

flex_screens.zip (173K) Download Attachment

Re: Is UI like this possible in Flex?

Todd Volkert
Something like this is definitely possible in Pivot.  If you want to replicate the exact graphic presentation, then you'll probably need to create a custom "Panel" class to get that green/grey swishy container.  If you're ok with Pivot's L&F, then an expander with expandable set to false is basically the same container.

I'd start by mocking up a static UI in WTKX so you can get a feel for how it'd look "out of the box" (without any custom skins or components).  Doing so will:

1) Get you familiar with Pivot's layout constructs
2) Be much quicker than going deep because you can ignore event handlers and back-end logic
3) Show to the stakeholders what such a UI would look like in Pivot's default L&F.  Then, if they buy in, you could start wiring it all up.

I took this approach with the Pivot apps I've written, and generally, you can rapidly prototype a static UI and iron out functional issues before writing a single line of code.

Cheers,
-T

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 1:45 AM, java programmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello,

I am not well versed like you in Pivot or any GUI application. I will start from tutorial today and i think so after
that i will be in a good position to start such a GUI step by step.

Thanks,
Prithvi

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Todd Volkert <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Beenish Zaidi
Hello,

If so many people are thinking it is possible then it is possible. I will suggest first you complete
the tutorial and then think how you can do it. Else many experts are here, you ask your question
and i think so you will get a response.

Good Luck,
Ben

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:31 AM, java programmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I have only one problem. I have not been into programming for long. When i see such a huge
application in PIVOT,i feel i can't do it because right now i don't even know the ABC of pivot
how will i make such a big application. I get discouraged and leave it.

Prithvi