Missing pivot-tutorials-2.03.jar in latest release

Missing pivot-tutorials-2.03.jar in latest release

Rendall Koski
As a head's up, the page with the Hello World on the tutorial https://pivot.apache.org/tutorials/hello-world.html contains the following command to compile the Hello World application:

java -cp pivot-core-[version].jar;pivot-wtk-[version].jar; pivot-wtk-terra-[version].jar;pivot-tutorials-[version].jar org.apache.pivot.wtk.DesktopApplicationContext org.apache.pivot.tutorials.HelloJava

However, the latest release of the .jars (apache-pivot-2.0.3.zip) does not contain pivot-tutorials-2.03.jar (nor any version).

Re: Missing pivot-tutorials-2.03.jar in latest release

Roger and Beth Whitcomb
Hi Rendall,
   I will check into it. Thanks for the notice.

~Roger Whitcomb

On Apr 2, 2014, at 8:38 AM, Rendall Koski <[hidden email]> wrote:

As a head's up, the page with the Hello World on the tutorial https://pivot.apache.org/tutorials/hello-world.html contains the following command to compile the Hello World application:

java -cp pivot-core-[version].jar;pivot-wtk-[version].jar; pivot-wtk-terra-[version].jar;pivot-tutorials-[version].jar org.apache.pivot.wtk.DesktopApplicationContext org.apache.pivot.tutorials.HelloJava

However, the latest release of the .jars (apache-pivot-2.0.3.zip) does not contain pivot-tutorials-2.03.jar (nor any version).

Re: Missing pivot-tutorials-2.03.jar in latest release

Sandro Martini
Hi Rendall,
you have reason, pivot-tutorials-[version].jar is missing from all our
Binary Distributions, but because it's an "accessory" library.
To have it you must download Pivot Sources and build them, and the
page in our Tutorials is missing this small info ... I'll update it
soon.

Otherwise a simpler way is get sources (for example only the trunk)
from Subversion, build them with eclipse and run desired tutorials
classes.

Thanks for the check, tell us if something other need to be clarified
or if you need more info.

Bye,

Re: Missing pivot-tutorials-2.03.jar in latest release

Rendall Koski
Thanks, Sandro and Roger.

I was able to get org.apache.pivot.tutorials.HelloJava and HelloBXML to compile from source as long as all of the other resources are .jars.  However, if all of the other resources are source packages, I get a compile error. Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problem:  at org.apache.pivot.wtk.media.Image.load(Image.java:148)

I am investigating now.

Re: Missing pivot-tutorials-2.03.jar in latest release

Sandro Martini
Hi Rendall,

> I was able to get org.apache.pivot.tutorials.HelloJava and HelloBXML to compile from source as long as all of the other resources are .jars.
good

>  However, if all of the other resources are source packages, I get a compile error. Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problem:  at org.apache.pivot.wtk.media.Image.load(Image.java:148)
this is strange, probably in your sources there is something that
doesn't compile (maybe due to a missing dependency) ...

Let us know if you have some update, or put here (insidew a zip) a
minimal project so we can look at it.

Bye,

Re: Missing pivot-tutorials-2.03.jar in latest release

Rendall Koski
Thanks, Sandro.  I want to be certain that it's not something basic I'm missing.  I'm working through the examples & tutorials now and will absolutely send you any conclusions I come to.

To replicate, if you're interested, I'm using Eclipse. Create a project with the source code of "core", "tutorials", "wtk" and "wtk-terra" as resources, and then simply run HelloWorld.java as a Java Application (Run -> Run As -> Java Application).  The caveat is that I cannot guarantee at this point that it isn't something basic that I missed, though!

Initial observations are that Pivot looks like a great framework.  It reminds me a lot of Android's approach (among others) with the separation of UI into an XML file.  It's interesting to me that Apache is getting into user interface since I associate them/you with the web server, but I am pleased.  Java needed this!

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 7:13 PM, Sandro Martini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Rendall,

> I was able to get org.apache.pivot.tutorials.HelloJava and HelloBXML to compile from source as long as all of the other resources are .jars.
good

>  However, if all of the other resources are source packages, I get a compile error. Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problem:  at org.apache.pivot.wtk.media.Image.load(Image.java:148)
this is strange, probably in your sources there is something that
doesn't compile (maybe due to a missing dependency) ...

Let us know if you have some update, or put here (insidew a zip) a
minimal project so we can look at it.

Bye,

Re: Missing pivot-tutorials-2.03.jar in latest release

Sandro Martini
Hi Rendall,

maybe you miss some important point on the setup of an eclipse
workspace ... you can get some info here to create one like ours:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PIVOT/Platform+Developer+Info

> Initial observations are that Pivot looks like a great framework.
thank you very much :-) ... and any feedback to improve it is always
welcome :-) ...
For sure our documentation could be improved, and due to a lack of
time it's not our primary effort, so if you have some hints, tell us.

Which OS and JDK Version (and eclipse) are you using ?

Tell us when you have some news.

Bye,

Re: Missing pivot-tutorials-2.03.jar in latest release

Rendall Koski
OS: Windows 7
Eclipse: Kepler Service Release 1  (Build id: 20130919-0819)
JDK 7u45 running under JavaSE 1.7

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 3:13 PM, Sandro Martini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Rendall,

maybe you miss some important point on the setup of an eclipse
workspace ... you can get some info here to create one like ours:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PIVOT/Platform+Developer+Info

> Initial observations are that Pivot looks like a great framework.
thank you very much :-) ... and any feedback to improve it is always
welcome :-) ...
For sure our documentation could be improved, and due to a lack of
time it's not our primary effort, so if you have some hints, tell us.

Which OS and JDK Version (and eclipse) are you using ?

Tell us when you have some news.

Bye,

Re: Missing pivot-tutorials-2.03.jar in latest release

Sandro Martini
Ok, so your environment is like mine :-) ...

Remember to edit the definition of the JDK in eclipse to add other
jars (required to compile some classes), as explained here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PIVOT/Platform+Developer+Info

I think that for the future we could try to remove these, or better
constraint these additions to specific (optional) modules ...

Otherwise you could build Pivot sources (for example our source
distribution) from Ant and generate related jars, and then use al
libraries in other projects ("normal" eclipse projects, or maven for
example). In this case you need JUnit jar in CLASSPATH.

Tell me after these steps if you still have the problem.

Bye,