Pivot Capabilties

buddhika chamith
Hi All,

I am planning to build an application with a UI similar to that of attached image. Mainly it would consist of component panel from which components can be dragged and dropped on to a canvas and then connected to each other. Additionally I want to represent the info in a Tree View on the canvas as a tree,  visually on the canvas, upon user selecting a context menu command on a Tree View node. Now do you foresee any issues that I might run in to with Pivot for something like this. Is this kind of thing currently feasible with Pivot?

Regards,
Buddhika

SampleUI.png (47K) Download Attachment

Re: Pivot Capabilties

Greg Brown
Administrator
I don't see anything in that mockup that you couldn't do with Pivot. The graph visualizer would obviously require some custom work, but I'm sure you knew that.  ;-)  You might be able to do it with Pivot's drawing API (org.apache.pivot.wtk.media.drawing). Alternatively, you could create a Pivot component that wraps a library such as JGraph. I prototyped such a component a while back as a proof of concept - I could re-post it if you are interested. Let me know.

On May 30, 2010, at 1:14 PM, buddhika chamith wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am planning to build an application with a UI similar to that of attached image. Mainly it would consist of component panel from which components can be dragged and dropped on to a canvas and then connected to each other. Additionally I want to represent the info in a Tree View on the canvas as a tree,  visually on the canvas, upon user selecting a context menu command on a Tree View node. Now do you foresee any issues that I might run in to with Pivot for something like this. Is this kind of thing currently feasible with Pivot?
>
> Regards,
> Buddhika
> <SampleUI.png>

Re: Pivot Capabilties

buddhika chamith
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the pointers. I would certainly like to see your prototype if that is possible.

Regards

Re: Pivot Capabilties

Greg Brown
Administrator
OK, I'll work on getting it re-posted.

On May 30, 2010, at 9:26 PM, buddhika chamith wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> Thanks for the pointers. I would certainly like to see your prototype if that is possible.
>
> Regards

Re: Pivot Capabilties

Greg Brown
Administrator
You can see the demo here. It is pretty basic but shows how you might use JGraph in a Pivot app:

  http://ixnay.biz/ixnay/jgraph_demo.html

The approach is similar to how JFreeChart is used here:

  http://code.google.com/p/pivot-jfree/

The source code for the JGraph example is here:

  http://ixnay.biz/ixnay/jgraph/

Greg

On May 30, 2010, at 9:47 PM, Greg Brown wrote:

> OK, I'll work on getting it re-posted.
>
> On May 30, 2010, at 9:26 PM, buddhika chamith wrote:
>
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> Thanks for the pointers. I would certainly like to see your prototype if that is possible.
>>
>> Regards

Re: Pivot Capabilties

buddhika chamith
Thanks Greg I will look in to that.

Re: Pivot Capabilties

vinylherz
Does someone still have the jGraph-Prototype for pivot? All links are down ...

Re: Pivot Capabilties

Roger and Beth Whitcomb
They still work for me: https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/pivot-jfree/

~Roger Whitcomb

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 21, 2013, at 7:30 AM, vinylherz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Does someone still have the jGraph-Prototype for pivot? All links are down

Re: Pivot Capabilties

vinylherz
Yes, you can find the jFreeChart Adapter classes ... but I'm looking for the jGraph prototype Greg did some years back

Re: Pivot Capabilties

Sandro Martini
Hi all,
I'm sorry but dodn't remember something like this, maybe it was only
in the (no more active) Demo Site of Greg ... but you could try to ask
directly to Greg (you can find his Apache email in our pages).
Or last, try to check in svn history from our trunk (but going back to 2009).

Sandro