Remove Applets from our Demos/Tutorials ?

Remove Applets from our Demos/Tutorials ?

Sandro Martini
Hi all,
since some time Applets are no more enabled in modern browsers (only
Internet Explorer up to 11 if I remember well), so I'm wondering on
removing them from our Demos and Tutorials (both in generated war
files) and in our Web Site.

Then, remove even the dependencies on the Java Plugin
(netscape.plugin.*, etc), from the DOM of pages, etc.

Of course only for the trunk (for 2.1.x), or maybe for a later release
(2.5.x) ... and maybe ensure that in pages we have a (working) JNLP
file.

What do you think ?
Someone still is using Applets (maybe for legacy applications/browsers) ?

Of course a related JIRA issue would track all this, some time is needed ...

Bye,

Re: Remove Applets from our Demos/Tutorials ?

Roger and Beth Whitcomb
So, my gut reaction is NO, but logically speaking I think we have to
switch from Applet to Java Web Start, since that is what even Oracle are
saying:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/migratingfromapplets-2872444.pdf

But there are a few other alternatives, so I think it bears some more
investigation...

~Roger

On 7/17/17 4:42 AM, Sandro Martini wrote:

> Hi all,
> some feedback ?
>
> Thanks,
> Sandro

>> Hi all,
>> since some time Applets are no more enabled in modern browsers (only
>> Internet Explorer up to 11 if I remember well), so I'm wondering on
>> removing them from our Demos and Tutorials (both in generated war
>> files) and in our Web Site.
>>
>> Then, remove even the dependencies on the Java Plugin
>> (netscape.plugin.*, etc), from the DOM of pages, etc.
>>
>> Of course only for the trunk (for 2.1.x), or maybe for a later release
>> (2.5.x) ... and maybe ensure that in pages we have a (working) JNLP
>> file.
>>
>> What do you think ?
>> Someone still is using Applets (maybe for legacy applications/browsers) ?
>>
>> Of course a related JIRA issue would track all this, some time is needed ...
>>
>> Bye,
>> Sandro

Re: Remove Applets from our Demos/Tutorials ?

Sandro Martini
Hi Roger,
yes I understand and like you (after many years of Applets) I don't
like so much to remove them, but in modern browsers they are mostly no
more enabled/supported ... and have them in Tutorials/Demos (and in
dependencies) and not able to run them is not so good in terms of User
Experience, sorry.

Anyway I can create a JIRA issue for this and post some update there.

Feedback from others ?