(no subject)

Josh Highley
I need help getting an image to display centered inside a larger ScrollPane.  My application displays an image that can be zoomed in and out.  A snippet of my current bxml is below.  I adjust the zoom by changing the dimensions of the Border container.  When the border is zoomed out such that it is smaller than the ScrollPane size, it's aligning to the top-left.  I'd like to center it vertically and horizontally.  I've tried various combinations of TablePane, FillPane and BoxPane as parents of the Border. BoxPane with fill:true (maybe nested BoxPanes with opposite orientations) isn't expanding to fill the ScrollPane as I'd expect; It shrinks to the size of the Border/Image

<ScrollPane>
   <Border>
      <ImageView styles="{fill: true}"/>
   </Border>
</ScrollPane>

Thanks,

Josh

RE:

Roger Whitcomb-2

Hi Josh,

                Welcome to Pivot!  Have you looked at using a ScaleDecorator on your ImageView?  This may work better than adjusting the Border size.  And it has settings for the alignment (left/center/right) of the scaled image as well.  I might be able, in a couple of days, to try to implement a small example.  Sorry there isn’t one already in the examples part of the code….

Let us know,

~Roger Whitcomb

Josh

Josh

RE: RE:

Roger Whitcomb-2

Take a look at the “ScaleDecoratorDemo.java” that I just committed to the source (if you can download the source through “svn”).  Or I can send it separately…

~Roger

Josh

Re: RE:

Josh Highley
I ran the demo you committed (big thanks BTW) and tried it in my app.  There's a couple of issues:  the zoomed in/out image still displays inside the confines of the original ImageView dimension.  This is especially an issue when zooming in: parts of the image outside the original ImageView bounds are clipped, which is what I'm trying to avoid by using the ScrollPane.  I want to see the entire image, just bigger, like what happens when I resize the Border container and set ImageView fill:true.  The other issue is that the ScaleDecorator centers the zoomed image inside the ImageView as specified, but I need to center the ImageView/Border inside the larger ScrollPane.

On a side note, when zooming in the image overwrites the Border on the right and bottom. Then after zooming out to < 100%, there's artifacts of the image remaining on the right side and bottom side.  If you set your demo's Border element to have a thicker border, it becomes more apparent.

Thanks,

Josh

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 7:59 PM, Roger Whitcomb <[hidden email]> wrote:

Take a look at the “ScaleDecoratorDemo.java” that I just committed to the source (if you can download the source through “svn”).  Or I can send it separately…

~Roger

RE: RE:

Roger Whitcomb-2

I also noticed the image artifacts, so that is a bug we need to fix.

So, could you try this hierarchy and see if it works:

<Border>

  <ScrollPane>

    <ImageView …/>

  </ScrollPane>

</Border>

And then just adjust the size of the ImageView itself to do the zoom?

Re: RE:

Josh Highley
Yes, I can remove the Border and still do the zoom directly with ImageView.
<ScrollPane>
  <ImageView  styles="{fill:true}"/>
</ScrollPane>

but zoom worked fine with Border too.  It's centering the ImageView inside the ScrollPane when the ImageView dimensions are smaller that I'm having trouble with.  I don't need the border, I just had it for the zoom method I found -- does removing the Border component gain me something with regards to centering?

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 12:32 PM, Roger Whitcomb <[hidden email]> wrote:

I also noticed the image artifacts, so that is a bug we need to fix.

So, could you try this hierarchy and see if it works:

<Border>

  <ScrollPane>

    <ImageView …/>

  </ScrollPane>

</Border>

And then just adjust the size of the ImageView itself to do the zoom?

Re:

Roger and Beth Whitcomb
I don't think the Border would have any effect with regard to centering, one way or the other.

Could you use nested BoxPanes with alternate orientations, fill=true, and center alignment (inside the ScrollPane)?  Something like this:

<ScrollPane>
  <BoxPane orientation='horizontal' styles="{fill:'true', verticalAlignment:'center'}" >
    <BoxPane orientation='vertical' styles="{fill:'true', horizontalAlignment:'center'}" >
      <ImageView ... />
    </BoxPane>
  </BoxPane>
</ScrollPane>

I haven't tried it, but kinda makes sense to me that it would work, but ...

Let us know,
~Roger

On 12/1/15 1:06 PM, Josh Highley wrote:
[...]

Well, this definitely solves the alignment problem.  I’m still struggling with getting the image to do the right thing as far as sizing.  I’m wondering if you will have to actually zoom the Image itself in order to do that (I mean resample and recreate the Image at the new resolution/size)?

~Roger

Re: Re:

Josh Highley
The 2 BoxPanes seems like it should work (tried previously and just tried again), but they aren't working either.  The BoxPanes aren't expanding to fill the ScrollPane, despite fill:true on both of them.

I added different background colors to the ScrollPane and both BoxPanes.  When ImageView is zoomed out and smaller than the ScrollPane such that centering comes into play, I would expect to see the background colors of the BoxPanes surrounding the ImageView.  However, I just see the ScrollPane background to the right and bottom of the ImageView.  The ImageView is still aligned top-left.  The BoxPanes don't appear to be visible anywhere.

Zoom still works, but the image still isn't centered in the scrollpane.

<ScrollPane styles="{backgroundColor: 'yellow'}">
  <BoxPane orientation='horizontal' styles="{fill:'true', verticalAlignment:'center', backgroundColor: 'green'}" >
    <BoxPane orientation='vertical' styles="{fill:'true', horizontalAlignment:'center', backgroundColor: 'red'}" >
      <ImageView image="/test.tif" styles="{fill:'true'}" />
    </BoxPane>
  </BoxPane>
</ScrollPane>

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Roger Whitcomb <[hidden email]> wrote:

Well, this definitely solves the alignment problem.  I’m still struggling with getting the image to do the right thing as far as sizing.  I’m wondering if you will have to actually zoom the Image itself in order to do that (I mean resample and recreate the Image at the new resolution/size)?

~Roger

RE: Re:

Roger Whitcomb-2

Hi Josh,

                I apologize that I haven’t been able to spend any more time on this the last week.  I’m wondering now if we need to open a JIRA and actually implement some new code for this.  My best solution only does part of the work, so I’m starting to think that Pivot can’t (yet) do what you want.  But, that doesn’t mean it can’t ever do it….  Do you have any thoughts on what the code might look like to accomplish what you want (from a purely Graphics2D / layout perspective).  Maybe you can open a JIRA issue for an enhancement and we could start on getting it implemented…..

Let us know..

~Roger

Re: Re:

Josh Highley
Thanks.  I opened request 980:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIVOT-980

In my limited Pivot experience, I think adding verticalAlignment and horizontalAlignment support to ScrollPane style makes the most sense to me, similar to BoxPane.

If you need me to add or change anything in the ticket, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

Josh